Friday, April 29, 2005

Not as Strong as I Think I Am

Once again, I'm reminded of the words of Rich Mullins' song "We're Not As Strong As We Think We Are."

I let a two minute conversation yesterday between two other people send me into an incredible tailspin. I instantly believed the worst and jumped to conclusions. What an incredibly negative emotional rollercoaster.

And all it took to clear most of it up was a ten minute conversation with one of the two this morning. All three of us misunderstood what the others of us were talking about. Hopefully this will help us to follow Covey's 5th habit of highly successful people Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood.

Isn't it amazing that the Almighty Creator of the Universe would choose to use frail, petty people to advance His Kingdom? That's one of the mysteries that confused people in Jesus' day. Rather than living an abundant and "victorious" life, Jesus' followers more often seem to lurch and stagger forward. And the Kingdom of God advances. Wow.

In the meantime, I'll be singing the chorus to Rich's song and revelling in my smallness.
CHORUS We are frail We are fearfully and wonderfully made
Forged in the fires of human passion
Choking on the fumes of selfish rage
And with these our hells and our heavens
So few inches apart
We must be awfully small
And not as strong as we think we are

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home