Friday, April 14, 2006

Wine & Redemption

Holy Week is always a time of discovery for me.

This year, our church went to the local synagogue to celebrate a Passover Seder. I love learning more about that meal because we celebrate it in shorthand every time we have communion.

While talking with the Rabbi, I learned that the four cups of wine had during the meal are to commemorate the various aspects of redemption and liberation found in Exodus 6:6-7.

'Therefore, say to the Israelites: “I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians..."' [Exodus 6:6-7 TNIV, emphasis added]
Wow.

That's how I want to celebrate communion. Deliverance. Freedom. Redemption. Taking out. Yes!

I'm almost shocked by the "I"'s in this passage. It's all God. He initiates the action. He does the action. It's His outstretched arm doing mighty works on our behalf.

The disciples were looking for freedom and deliverance from the Romans. God was more interested in the ultimate freedom and deliverance--freedom from satan's rule.

Woohoo! This just makes me want to shout: Hallelujah!

Even if it is Good Friday and not yet Easter.

May this weekend be one of incredible identification with the glorious fullness of God's freedom.

2 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, April 17, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

As you know, I firmly believe that understanding the 6000 year history of Judiasm thoroughly enriches our own faith as Christians. Understanding Jesus as a Jew can only serve to deepen our relationship with Him.

I admire your desire to reach out and connect with this synagogue. Your church and the community at large are very lucky to have you.

 
At 2:06 PM, April 17, 2006, Blogger Marc A. Pitman, CFCC said...

Thanks Rob!

I used this at the end of our Easter service, just before communion. Afterwards, a man came up to me in tears. He's been around the church for decades but that was the first time he'd ever connected the power of the Exodus with the power in the Ressurrection.

It's such a priviledge to be able to share this with others!


(A link to the mp3 of the sermon is here.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home