Monday, May 22, 2006

'Da Vinci': Love it, or leave unimpressed

I went to see the Da Vinci Code on Friday, but the movie sold out while the local paper was interviewing me.

Does this count toward my 15 minutes of fame?

The entire article is at: 'Da Vinci': Love it, or leave unimpressed. In case they pull the article from the site, here's the part that quoted me:

Marc Pitman, pastor of Vineyard Church of Waterville, located in the former Harris Baking Co. thrift store, was looking forward to seeing the movie, after having read the book. He acknowledged that historically, the facts are far off, but it is a work of fiction.

"It is a good read as a novel," said Pitman, the chief fundraiser at Inland Hospital. "I was forewarned. It is a page-turner. One of my questions is, how can we present truth in such a compelling way?"

Pitman is leading discussions about "The Da Vinci Code" from noon to 1 p.m. on four Tuesdays at The Forum in The Center downtown, he said.

He said he did not know what to expect from the movie.

"I've actually heard it's not good," he said. "I want to see it because I'm going to be doing the discussions and I want to see the differences between the book and the movie."

Pitman contends there are three ways to deal with cultural happenings: boycott them, ignore them or get involved and discuss them.

"I think questioning is healthy," he said.


Wasn't it nice of them to plug the discussions that start tomorrow?

3 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger WTF?! said...

You gotta love free "product placement..." HAHA!

 
At 3:14 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger WTF?! said...

PS

How have you guys been promoting the discussions? Posters, word-of-mouth, paid advertising??

I'm interested to hear what kind of folks show up to this...

 
At 2:29 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Marc A. Pitman, CFCC said...

We've done a few things:
*ads in the paper (people actually read the paper here in Waterville)

*posters all over the place (the group I'm renting from places posters as part of the service)

*email to the community news section of the paper

*interviewed in paper (couldn't plan that!)

*posted to public radio community calendar (online) and a couple other radio calendars

*emailed a couple DJ's I'd met froma local secular station. They liked the idea and plugged it to their listeners.

*church bulletin and announcements

I think I covered it. In the future, with more cash, I'd seriously consider a direct mail campaign...a postcard a week announcing that week's topic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home